10.23.2009

NIFTY AND THRIFTY

This post doesn't contain any items that I have, in fact, fashioned by hand. However, I set out this morning with the intention of getting supplies for future projects, so I think this sort of counts.

My first stop: the Fashion District. This was my first visit there and it was quite a lot to handle. First I hit up the fabric stores (there are so many!) then wandered the alleys, then picked up a few knick knacks before I just couldn't take it anymore. The feeling of being in the fashion district reminded me of El Rastro in Madrid because 1) there were so many different shops and people milling about and 2) everyone was speaking Spanish. I'm so glad I went though because it really is a goldmine of fashion resources, and now I know where to get all the goods!



Boxes of shoulder pads?! I'm in heaven!



Technicolor zippers






In case I need a new dress for a party or something...very practical

Fabric AND boas...one stop shopping!

Well wasn't that fun?

My second stop is a thrifters staple: Goodwill. I went there to get basic pieces that I plan on cutting up for projects. I didn't come out with any of the things I set out for, but I did pick up some rad stuff anyway.


The material is sort of like a stretchy gray dress pant...an interesting twist on a hoodie



This dress is very Lisa in my opinion



Velour mini-dress with low scoop back...for channeling my early 90's Alicia Silverstone



I think paired with some military boots this could really pack some punch



My FAV. Needs an alteration (coming in a later post)

My grand total for the 5 pieces: $21.45. Yesssss! The best part about thrifting is that I can guarantee that no one will be waltzing around in the same outfit as me. And I found super rad stuff.

Third stop: LF Warehouse Sale. This was my first time at a warehouse sale and let me tell you, they are not for the faint of heart. BUT, if you're willing to deal with the madness, you will walk out with some incredible deals. My finds are below, with the original price and what I paid.


Black sheer long sweater. Original: $128. I paid $10.

Long tshirt (the sheer kind you see through). Original price: $58. I paid $6.



Baller scarf. Original price: $75. I paid $7.



Gray t-shirt (suuuuper soft and wonderful.) Original price: $58. I paid $6.



High waisted skinny jeans. Original price: $225. I paid $18.
 
Leg warmers + stirrups = two of my favorite things. Original price: $48. I paid $6.



Badass earrings (that perfectly match a necklace I just got...bonus.) Original price: (unknown) I'd guess at least $40 based on the pricing of other items. I paid $7.



LOVE these boots. Original price: $225. I paid $35.

The retail price for all of these items would have been: $877. Oy! 

My grand total was $95! I win.

Today was a full-on fashion adventure that brought me all over the city. I came out with some great finds, but it was rather exhausting. I guess I've taught myself a lesson that being fashionable takes work! Or rather that good fashion on a budget takes work. But setting out for great deals and unique pieces and actually finding them is so much more rewarding than just heading down to Nordstrom and paying full price. Trust me on this one.


Song to get you going (on whatever fashion adventure you please): David Bowie - Fashion
(i mean...i had to use it at some point. what better place than here, what better time than now?) 

(yes...i just threw a rage lyric in my nerdy fashion blog post.)

No comments:

Post a Comment