10.14.2009

CHAIN GANG

Chains are popping up everywhere and I love it. (check out this posting on stylebubble for some great examples.) I wanted to get in on the fun so I headed straight to the most logical place for fashion goodies...Menards. (No, I'm not kidding.)

A chain belt is a surefire way to up your badass points, and can be adjusted to be worn with jeans, skirts, dresses or even a slip if you're feeling really cheeky. I wanted to up the ante from a belt so I made a chain harness, which makes me feel part Billy Idol and part Knight of the Round Table.

Here's what you'll need:
- large link chain for the base (I got a 10 yard pack from Menards $5.99)
- various desired sizes of chain for decoration (I got two varieties from Hobby Lobby for $1.29/yard)
- belt closure (I used a gadget I found at Menards, a small carabiner would work too)
- needle nosed pliers
- wire cutter (if working with small chain)


TOTAL COST PER PIECE = about $6.00

 For the belt: Hook one end of the large chain in your belt closure of choice, then measure the chain around your waist for the right length and hook the other end through the belt closure. Use the needle nosed pliers to separate the chain link directly after the link in the belt closure and remove excess chain. Then use either needle nosed pliers or wire cutter to make chain strands of various lengths and attach them where desired.







For the harness: Start by putting the chain over one shoulder and determine the right length for the two main pieces (think of the chain pieces as suspenders.) Again, you'll use needle nosed pliers to separate chain where possible, wire cutter where necessary. Next determine how wide you want the harness to be, and create 6 equal length pieces of the large chain: 3 for the front and 3 for the back. When you to go place the horizontal pieces, count the number of links between each piece so that the harness doesn't end up all catywompus. When you have the base done, add additional sizes of chain for a more dramatic look.

Song to get you going: Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Took Out a Loan



 

1 comment: