10.11.2009

HEAD CASE

I dig all the crazy hair accessories in stores these days, but I'm not about to drop 35 buckaroos for a peacock feather on a bobby pin. Making your own decorative hair pieces is very easy and inexpensive.

Here's what you'll need:
barrettes or hair clips - I got a pack of 4 for $2.99 at a craft store
glue - I recommend super glue ($1.99) or a super strong craft glue
wire - thickness required depends on what you're putting on the piece (mine was $3.49)
fake flowers - $1.99 for one bunch
feathers - two sets of feathers for $1.99 each
butterflies - $2.49 for a set of 6
beads/pearls - two sets for $1.49 each (I found mine in the wedding decoration section of the craft store)
sequins - 1/2 yard at $2.49 per yard

TOTAL COST = about $4.00 per piece

 Put however many decorative pieces you feel like on the clip (you'll see I went a little overboard with the flower piece, but that's me.) I used a combo of wire and glue when securing things to the clip to ensure that these lovely little pieces will stay intact throughout even the wildest nights on the town (or days at the beach, or days at fashion school for me...that's the real test.)

Decorative hair pieces are an easy  way to jazz up a plain outfit and a painless way (unlike 6 six inch heels) to showcase your fashion know-how.

Song to get you going: Florence and the Machine - Dog Days Are Over









No comments:

Post a Comment