11.09.2009

SOLVING THE SCARF PROBLEM

Let me begin by saying that I have absolutely no problem with wearing scarves. I wear them all the time. The problem to which this post title refers is that of having so many scarves that you cannot effectively store them in a manner that is easy to see your options and keep the scarves in optimal condition.

While living in Chicago I hung my scarves on three different strands of fishing line that went diagonally across my wall, so that there were three tiers of scarves. However, even with this method of hanging and display the scarves slid into each other, became wrinkled, or worse yet, hidden from sight! So...take two on the scarf hanging efforts: I give you the Scarf Wall.

Here's what you'll need:
- 2-3 yards of large fishnet (other fabric like burlap may work if fishnet is unavailable.)
clothespins
- hammer and nails

TOTAL COST: about $10 (price will vary based on fabric type and length)

I feel sort of guilty even posting this because it's too easy to really call this a "project," but I wanted to share this in case anyone else has too many scarves than they know what to do with.

First, pick out a decent sized chunk of wall where you want to put your scarves. Take into consideration the length of scarves that will hang down, as well as how far they might stick out from the wall.

Start by nailing your fishnet (or other fabric) into place. I used the little nail-hook combo thingers (that is the technical term in case you're wondering) so that I could hook several loops of the fishnet on one hook to pull the fabric a bit more taut. The scarves will weigh quite a bit depending on how many you hang, so place as many nails as you feel necessary to keep everything in place.

 
 I know what you're thinking...black fishnet? On that big of an area? Fug. I know. I thought the same thing. I desperately looked for a beige color that would blend into the wall but my choices were black or bright turquoise, so I took the black. It really doesn't matter what color fishnet (or fabric) you hang because all you're going to see when you're finished are all of your lovely scarves.

Now use the clothespins to hang the scarves evenly over the fishnet. I stuck the clothespins through the fishnet, so that when I take off a scarf to wear it, the clothespin stays in place for when I need to hang the scarf again.


The area of my scarf wall is about 1.5 yards wide by 2.5 yards tall, and it currently is home to 47 of my scarves (I know this based on the number of clothespins left out of a pack of 50. I told you it was a problem.)



This hanging method allows you to view all of your options while keeping the scarves wrinkle free and happy.


Song to get you going: Grizzly Bear - Easier

No comments:

Post a Comment