11.22.2009

SOMEONE CALL THE DOCTOR

No, I don't have a case of a love bi-polar. What I do have is a project that utilizes materials often used for injuries.

I'm a huge fan of arm accessories and sweet glove-like things, so when I came across these beauts it was instant love. Then I saw the price. What the what? You want me to pay $215 for something that looks like an ace bandage? No way jose, I'll get me some bandages and make them myself.

Here's what you'll need:
- two bandages (width is up to you...I got the target brand for $3.00 a piece)
- fabric dye (mine was $3.50) 
- sink or bucket to dye in (or washing machine if you so desire) 

TOTAL COST: $10

This project is basically one step...more if you want to make your bandages gloves more fancy pants.

Supplies:



Dye both of the bandages (one for each arm) following the directions on the dye. There are also different dying method directions here. I would note that the dye color may not fully take due to the elastic in the bandages. That was just fine by me because I used a black dye and ended up with gray and half of my fall/winter wardrobe is gray. I meant to do that.

Make sure to thoroughly wash your bandages, because if you use a dark color like me and don't wash them well, your arms could be dyed. Then you would be wearing permanent gloves. Not cool. 

Here's how mine turned out.

Once your bandages are all dry, wrap it up! (giggling...to myself. or at myself?) This is where you could get fancy if you feel so inclined and actually stitch the bandages in place so that they stay in their glove shape and then you could just slip them on. I was going to do that...but then I got lazy.

I began by folding the bandage in half so that it doesn't cover my knuckles. As you wrap down your hand unfold the bandage to its full width.

I think these are a neato accessory and they make me feel like a ninja warrior. Hi-ya!

 
Domo arigato.

Song to get you going: Hot Hot Heat - Bandages

No comments:

Post a Comment